Thursday, November 15, 2012

12 things behind, but hoping to catch up

Hello,

Well, gosh, I think this is the fourth time I've done a "__ things" course. I was part of I think the very first one ever offered, when Helene Blowers was running them at the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County in North Carolina. This was pre-Twitter. To be honest it was just about pre-Facebook. 2006, the wild and woolly days of web 2.0 where the height of sophistication was a Delicious account and Librarything.

It was fun, I learned a lot, applied nearly none of it, and got an mp3 player for participating. It had a capacity of 1 gigabyte, which was absolutely amazing for those days.

6 years later, and things have changed a lot less and a lot more than we think. Social media is smaller. It fits in pockets. We're more connected more of the time. There's a device in my shirt pocket that can download movies faster than my university broadband could back when I was getting my degree. And yet the NHS is still using IE7.

I want to be on top of the changes. I want health libraries to be the cutting edge. There's no MP3 player as a prize at the end of this, but just maybe there's something more valuable: a better way to do my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment